Date:      Sun, 15 Jul 2001 22:36:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joshua MacQueen <woodrow@activecom.net>
To:        <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Inspiron 7000 apm problems

I was offered a Dell Inspiron 7000 D300LT for only $400 the other day
so I pounced on the opportunity to install FreeBSD on a laptop. The
install went smoothly, X setup was flawless as always but my problems
arose when I tried to setup apm[d] and sound for the Maestro II chip. Apm
is a top priority with audio being a distant 2nd. I followed LINT's
instructions for apm support but when I run it at startup or with apm -d I
tells me that /dev/apmctl is not configured. I put a copy of kernel config
and its subsequent dmesg out put
http://www.activecom.net/~woodrow/spiro

http://www.activecom.net/~woodrow/dmesg

And most importantly, I only have the install media from 4.1-Release. I
checked 4.1's release notes and didn't notice anything relevant to me. If
support for apm is borked on that release I can a cd of 4.3-stable if need
be. Thanks for any help.