Date:      Wed, 06 Mar 2002 17:23:40 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>, Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: http://users.uk.freebsd.org/~juha/

Peter Leftwich wrote:
> > A hacker looks, but does not touch; hacking is a result of a curious nature.
>
> Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle.  The nature of the act of observation
> alters what it is you are observing, thus curiosity can crash a system
> and/or land your butt in jail near Big Joe's...

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle doesn't apply to macro
events, only to quantum events.  Specifically, it states
that you can not simultaneously know the momentum of an
electron, and it's position within h-bar/2.

Unless you have a Schroedinger's Cat device hooked up to
your computer, observations are not going to collapse any
probability wwaves to a certainty, thus effecting the
outcome of later observations.

8^p.

> This seems to all come down to two ideas: [1] People want "intent" or
> "motive" to be part of the noun, just as we have two different words for
> those who steal your money: taxman and thief. [2] The Eskimo-like tribe
> Ki'illi-Mo%tocka Timbe of the Russian Siberian plains have 13 words for
> "dayummn it is phreakin' cold out today!"

Just as William Gibson, the person who coined the word
"cyberspace" indicated that "It's not ``cyberspace'' until
you can torture someone to death in it, and they die in the
real world".

While we're at it, I want "Operating System" back, too.

> > Any true hacker has a Bushido-style sense of honor.  A hacker is a Samurai.
> > Crackers generally have no honor.  A cracker is Ronin.
>
> Ronin?

A Samurai without a house.  Someone who doesn't have a higher
power to which they answer, and so has no reasonable constraints
on their actions to prevent them from becoming sociopaths like
Theodore "Ted" Kazinski or Jeffrey Dahlmer.

> > Ken Thompson is a hacker.  Dennis Ritchie is a hacker. Kirk
> > McKusick is a hacker.
>
> I'm glad you didn't mention Kevin Mitnick.  So I will: Kevin Mitnick is a god.

So are Baal, Loki, and Hades... 8^p.

-- Terry