Date:      Sun, 10 Apr 2005 14:39:00 +0100
From:      Mark Dixon <mark@markdnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        stable@freebsd.org, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   bktr and Interlacing

--nextPart1874841.X6Vb5ee2W3

Hi,

As I'm without a TV at the moment, I decided to plug my XBox into my TV car=
d=20
(via bktr driver) and attempt to play the brilliant Burnout 3 via my monito=
r=20
and mplayer. Unfortunately, as soon as things get busy (as they inevitably =
do=20
in this game), the screen started to show signs of interlacing all over the=
=20
place, and as you can imagine, when driving into oncoming traffic at 200mph=
,=20
interlacing is not very helpful.=20

I had a quick look at the source and can't see any obvious interlace contro=
ls=20
=2D although there is one slightly worrying comment:

/*
* XXX NOTE (Luigi):
* currently we only support 3 capture modes: odd only, even only,
* odd+evgen interlaced (odd field first). A fourth mode (non interlaced,
* either even OR odd) could provide 60 (50 for PAL) pictures per
* second, but it would require this routine to toggle the desired frame
* each time, and one more different DMA program for the Bt848.
* As a consequence, this fourth mode is currently unsupported.
*/

Does anyone know if there is a simple switch that needs setting somewhere t=
o=20
make the card not do this, or if its simply a performance problem with=20
something (my computer, mplayer, bktr driver) not being able to keep up wit=
h=20
the amount of activity the XBox is throwing at the screen.

Mark