Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 12:28:42 -0700
From:      Denver Maddux <denver@nitrous.net>
To:        dmitry <dvk@toolbuilders.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Buying a new laptop

dmitry wrote:

>  1) Do guys think getting an extended warranty / service plans is a good idea?

Very good idea.  Any problems w/o a warranty are going to be a
nightmare IMO to get resolved.

>  2) Has anyone (used_one || needed_one) before?

Repeatedly.

>  3) Has anyone (used_one && needed_one) before?

Rinse and repeat.

>  4) What machine would you recommend?

I have a Dell Inspiron 5000 right now that I am currently having a
love affair with.  Most everything worked right out of the box, with
the exceptions being suspend-to-disk.  Suspend works, shutdown -p
works, blah blah blah.  I use a limited set of pcmcia cards (waveland
and a modem card) but they work all of the time.

The 5000 is a bit bulky (not like the 7500 at all) weighing in at ~7.7
pounds with both batteries in.  I get 6 hours and 40 minutes
(supposedly) of battery life with both in.

That's my $0.02

-D