Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 08:12:20 -0600
From:      David Holland <dholland@xmission.com>
To:        Rob Furphy <rcf@ox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question on JDK1.2.2 FAQ #5 {JBuilder and JPDA}

Rob Furphy wrote:

> David Holland wrote:
>
> > In trying to get JPDA to work with JBuilder using the
> > native JDK1.2.2 (P9), I copied the jpda.jar and dt.jar files from the
> > linux_jdk1.2.2/lib directory into the
> > jdk1.2.2/lib directory.
>
> This *fix* is for making the "JBuilder App" work correctly.  The errors
> it corrects are java classes which jbuilder needs.  This *fix* does not
> fix what you appear to have.
>
> Without the jpda.jar file in the correct place JBuilder should still
> "come up"
> but the menus (and other things) don't function properly.
>
> I just re-checked this on my machine and JBuilder works fine.
> FreeBSD RELEASE 3.5 vanilla install with linux emul.
>
> > But when I tried to use it, i.e.
> >
> > java -Xdebug -Xnoagent -Djava.compiler=NONE
> >    -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=9123,suspend=n
> >      HelloWorld
> >
> > I get:
> >
> > Can't load "libjdwp.so", because Shared object "libjdwp.so" not found
> > Could not create the Java virtual machine.
> >

> I think your 'problem' may be the specific invocation of "libjdwp.so".
> Searching my java release directories I find this library in the Linux
> port but not in my "Patchset 9 Native" JDK.  What is the runjdwp for?
>
> <snip>

The -Xrunjdwp argument sets up a connection that I can
attach to from inside of jbuilder to debug the application
either locally or on a different machine (using JPDA). On
NT this works great for debuging Servlets and EJBs inside of BEA's
Application Server.

When you run JBuilder on 3.5 with linux emulation, and you type a
class:  i.e. System.

Does the popup class browser show correctly for you?

For me with both the linux-jdk and native, I do get an
undecorated window, but it appears under JBuilder instead
of on top of it - and it seems to have a redraw problem
in that I don't notice content painting until I close it
with escape.  This seems to be independant of window
manager, i.e. twm, windowmaker, and sawmill.

When you pull up the file menu, does it seem to have a
redraw problem?  (mine does with linux-jdk and native with
out tya jit).

I don't yet understand how to build using openmotif instead of lesstif -
since the ALT_MOTIF_DIR variable in the buildscript points to the same
directory for both -
uninstall lesstif?

David Holland