Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2001 22:54:06 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        FreeBSD-stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: wchan kqread

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 01:41:13PM -0800, Carson Gaspar wrote:

> --On Saturday, March 03, 2001 4:31 PM -0800 Kris Kennaway
> <kris@obsecurity.org> wrote:
>
> > This has never been the case; the main culprits are things like top
> > and ps which rely (relied - it's fixed in -current) on struct proc
> > which changes size fairly regularly, but there are others.  We're
> > trying to move away from that by more sensible exporting of data
> > structures, but this is the way it's always been.
>
> So why the !@#$%$%^ is this stuff changing in -STABLE? One would _hope_
> that -STABLE was for bug-fixes, not for gratuitous feature changes. If I
> wanted my APIs to change daily, I'd run -CURRENT.

-STABLE is for bug-fixes and *well-tested* new features.
If you don't want new features you shouldn't upgrade.
The changes in struct proc and similar things are rarely gratuitious and if
you follow the recommended upgrade procedure you will have few if any
problems.

Also remember that if new features were never merged from -CURRENT to
-STABLE you would have to wait a long time for news features which would
probably significantly reduce the popularity of FreeBSD.

Basically your hopes and wishes are not in sync with reality nor with the
wishes of the developers of FreeBSD and probably not with the majority of
users either.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson