Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 12:16:50 +0100
From:      "Oliver Blasnik" <oliver.blasnik@nextra.de>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Again: Promise IDE RAID / Fasttrack100

Hi there,

we just got a very nice engineering sample from gigabyte (1U) with an
embedded FastTrack100 Controller on-board.

(For anyone who wants to know: 1U, two PPGA370 Sockets, two on-board
ethernet (fxp), two hotswap ide ata100-drives, usb, serial, parallel.
Work is on a next 1U with up to 3 drives and ipmi on board.).

I gave 4.2release a try as far as I recognised that there was no support
for this controller in previous versions. Detection was sucessfully,
installing without any problem, looked really good to me.

So, what is the first to check out with an mirrored raid? Take one of
the drives out of the bay and look what happens. I did and looked...
Hum... System stopped... Waiting... System still hangs... Put the drive
back into bay. Nothing happens at all.

Not the behaviour of an raid array I expected.

Linux didn't recognise that controller at all, the shipped driver for
w2k worked as expected -> system was running with an degraded raid.

So, what about the state of the drivers for FreeBSD? Looking into source
gave me the opinion that the two drives were handled as to independend
ones, just mirroring/striping algos added. No special failure handling
if connected via an FastTrack and mirrored. Using the striping really
rocks - 53MB/sec write performance with two IDE 30GB drives.

I asked Gigabyte for help and they told me that Promise will release
their drivers for Linux and other Intel-Unixes in GPL at Dec., 20th.
What a nice xmas present ;-)

Hopefully anyone is going to implement that new drivers into FreeBSD
or fix that problem.

Cu, Oliver
--
-- http://www.nextra.de - INTERNET@WORK ----- oliver.blasnik@nextra.de --
 Nextra Deutschland     | Oliver Blasnik      Senior System Administrator