Date:      Wed, 05 Apr 2006 00:27:03 +0100
From:      rob_spellberg <emailrob@emailrob.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LOCALE, Ltd.?

illoai@gmail.com wrote:
> On 4/4/06, Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz> wrote:
>
>>I'd been talking on a forum with a Linux database guy,
>>and he mentioned that on the PostGres lists, people
>>would "love to use *BSD" but the locale support is limited.
>>
>>Well, sure 'nough, `locale -a | wc -l` seems to be in the
>>mid-200s here, and his systems have over 550 locales.
>>
>>I've probably not RTFM'ed enough, but I'm just looking
>>for a short answer.  What does FreeBSD need to have
>>more locales*?  I'm assuming the answer is, more people
>>in more locations willing to take the time to RTFM and
>>submit patches to $x team.....
>>
>>Discussion?  Linkage?  Slaps to the head?
>>
>>Kevin Kinsey
>>

>>* and, of course, an obvious counter question:  *does* FreeBSD
>>need to have more LOCALES?"
>

> I would not think that it could hurt.
> But I tend to think that even spurious
> locales would be sexy to have.

sexy locales never hurt, but locale bloat is distinctly spurious.

it seems that not a week goes by that i don't thank the one who is "so big"
   [ as michael palin described the one in "the meaning of life" ]
   for being able to get away with the original 7-bit ascii.
well, most of the time.

[ brief pause while i look something up. ]

i just checked the american radio relay league's dxcc list.

     http://www.arrl.org/awards/dxcc/

there aren't 400 "countries" even on their list and they're pushing the envelope.

i would like to think that making that statement was a polite way
   to keep using whatever they are accustomed to using
   [ or accustomed to selling ? ].
otherwise, i would be tempted to think it's sheer snobbery
   and i don't want to do that without knowing more about the situation.

if something is really worth having,
   the one who really wants it will do the work required to really acquire it.

rob