Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 2001 16:20:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@mu.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/24811: Networking in FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE doesn't allow full-duplex<->half-duplex communication

The following reply was made to PR kern/24811; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bill Fumerola <billf@mu.org>
To: klui@cup.hp.com
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 18:12:27 -0600

 On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 03:44:51PM -0800, klui@cup.hp.com wrote:

 > I have a FreeBSD 4.2 installation at work over 10baseT at full duplex
 > communicating with a FreeBSD 4.2 installation at home over 10baseT at
 > half duplex. The office box is connected to a switch. The remote is
 > connected to a hub via SDSL. If I copy files from the 4.2 box at work
 > to the 4.2 box at home, I will inevitably get network stalls. Searching
 > dejanews reveals that this may be caused by the interaction between a
 > machine that is connected at full duplex versus one that is connected at
 > half duplex. The work machine has used the following ethernet cards with
 > the same results: PCNet-FAST/NCR 53c875 combination card (pcn driver)
 > and 3Com 3c905B XL (xl driver).

 This is the fault of your hub. It is the responsibility of the hub to
 translate those, its possible that your hub just simply has two busses
 (one half-duplex, one full-duplex) or something like that.

 --
 Bill Fumerola - security yahoo         / Yahoo! inc.
               - fumerola@yahoo-inc.com / billf@FreeBSD.org