Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 1995 09:55:48 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.FreeBSD.org>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Clock interrupts during probes?

>>It would certainly make the job of having
>>the SCSI code perform the proper delays between retries easier.  It
>>would also be the first step in getting rid of the ugly DELAY()'s in
>>driver code.
>
>Not much easier - there would be no process context to sleep on.  I
>think we need something using coroutines to probe and attach all (or
>large batches of) devices concurrently at boot time.  Make the
>coroutine switch mechanism look like tsleep() and have the same
>semantics as tsleep() so that the same probe and attach code works
>correctly after the system is up.  DELAY(n) would become
>csleep(&foo, PRIBIO, "foodelay", (n * hz) / 1000000).
>
>Bruce

I need access to timeout(), not tsleep() for the work in the upperlevel
SCSI code, so I don't need a process context.  Most of the DELAY() calls
in the aic7xxx driver stem from that fact that I can't use timeouts during
boot and must poll in order to do a timeout.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  Software Developer - Walnut Creek CDROM