Date:      Wed, 08 Aug 2001 02:35:39 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Allocate a page at interrupt time

Mike Smith wrote:
> Terry; all this "thinking" you're doing is *really*bad*.
>
> I appreciate that you believe you're trying to "educate" us somehow. But
> what you're really doing right now is filling our list archives with
> convincing-sounding crap.  People that are curious about this issue are
> likely to turn up your postings, and get *really* confused.
>
> Please.  Just stop, ok?

Mike, I know you are convinced you know everything, and that
of all the people who have worked professionally on SMP
systems before, FreeBSD has only one guy I'm aware of in a
design position for the SMP project, and a lot of students
who think they know what they are doing, even though they
can't cite the literature, but please...

Read the email threads all the way through before commenting
on my postings; the IPI issue is real for TLB shootdown, as
was pointed out by others; it was quite late, and it's very
understandable, given that I have aphasic dyslexia, that I
substituted the wrong word.

Rather than correcting things, as others have done, you have
insisted that no issue exists.

Effectively calling me an idiot in a public forum doesn't
help your credibility, and you're doing more damage by
denying that there is any issue whatsoever to be concerned
about, and being pedantic about precise word usage, instead
of addressing the issues and correcting my unintentional
spoonerisms out of concern for the archives.

Also please read the white paper reference I gave you about
receiver livelock: interrupt threads were, and are, a bad
idea, particularly on stock Intel SMP hardware -- so Solaris
using that approach doesn't justify it any more than antique
versions of IRIX using that approach do.

If you don't want to believe be, then believe Jeff Mogul,
but don't pretend that simply because I chose the wrong word,
that there is no issue to consider.

Thanks,
-- Terry