Date:      Tue, 1 Nov 2005 21:55:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: KTR changes

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Nate Lawson wrote:

>>> These should be merged the following under KTR_MALLOC (KTR_MEM?):
>>> KTR_UMA: uma_zalloc_arg, uma_zfree_arg
>>> KTR_VM: vmspace_alloc, vmspace_free, vm_map_create,  vm_map_entry_unlink
>>
>> Well, I'm not sure about those as the KTR_VM ones aren't related
>> to kernel malloc at all.  vmspaces are the user virtual address
>> mappings with vm_map being individual mappings. :)  That's like
>> saying that mmap() should be part of malloc(). :)  I also think
>> KTR_UMA is probably useful for getting a general feel for memory
>> allocation activity in the kernel.
>
> What I'm trying to achieve is a general "KTR_MEMORY_STUFF" key.  If
> you're interested in allocations, getting info about mappings wouldn't
> hurt either.

I'm not entirely sure I agree -- I think combining malloc and zone
allocation makes sense, but I think keeping vm tracking separate also
makes sense, as one tends not to be interested in both VM pieces and
explicit kernel allocation simultaneously.  Just like one probably doesn't
want VFS events and device driver operations at the same time -- you can
combine them, but since both at the same time tend not to be desirable...
:-)

Robert N M Watson