Date:      Sun, 09 Jan 2000 08:15:44 -0500
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        Ian West <ian@niw.com.au>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ESS 1868 and DSP_BUFFSIZE

Ian West wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 09, 2000 at 06:16:30AM -0500, Donn Miller wrote:

> > Everything seems to be working great for the ESS 1868 now, but I was
> > just wondering...
> >

> While it is much better than it was (sound happens, and the machine
> doesn't reboot :-), I am still seeing a repeat of the last few seconds
> of some audio with the ESS 1869 chipset. This seems to occur using
> waveplay (.wav files) and au files (cat *.au > /dev/dsp). I can't pick
> any pattern to it, although it is consistent on a per file basis.

Have you tried RealPlayer?  Sometimes when RealPlayer does it's
rebuffering (which is too much IMO, but that's RealPlayer), the sound
repeats twice, and it occurs at the end of clips also.  Also,
RealPlayer has these useless options like Buffer xxx seconds before
playing, and Buffer entire clip up to available memory.  All give the
same exact result, no matter which value of seconds I choose.  Why did
Real even put that option in there if it doesn't do anything?  This is
with RealPlayer 5.0.

Actually, my ESS 1868 is working great...  I can play a 3 minute clip
with RealPlayer 5.0 and compile Wine in an xterm, and it plays
smoothly until the end.  (At which time it skips 2-3 times, but this
is normal behavior.)  Overall, the sound driver is working very
superbly, at least for the 1868.  I'm glad I kept that sound card.
(Don't SoundBlaster cards have an ESS chip in them?)

- Donn