Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2007 19:42:33 +0400
From:      "Artem Kuchin" <matrix@itlegion.ru>
To:        "Craig Boston" <cb@severious.net>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Quation about HZ kernel option

Craig Boston wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 02:32:39PM +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:
>> In that case, I would recommend not to override the
>> default at all (which is 1000).
>
> ISTM that it would be better to use kern.hz=100 in this case.
>
> My reasoning is that a web server shouldn't be terribly sensitive to
> latency, so it's better to have longer quantums to get more work done
> without context switching overhead.  If you're not using polling,
> you'll be getting interrupts for network traffic anyway.

That what i personally thought. However 100 seems to be too rough.
I just feel so, no reasoning behind this ;)
Maybe 200-300 is better than 100 and better than 1000?
I wonder how to build a test case for this to find best settings for
web server, so others will not stuggle with this on the future.

> With polling on however, a high HZ value makes sense.

polling does not make sense in case of webhosting though ;)

--
Regards,
Artem