Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 11:37:06 -0400
From:      "Patrick Bihan-Faou" <patrick@mindstep.com>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   natd and userland ppp

Hi,

Sorry if this question has been answered before, but I am looking for a good
reason why one should use "ppp -nat" rather than natd with ppp ?

I have seen the man page for natd stating "It is intended for use with
NICs - if you want to do NAT on a PPP link, use the -nat switch to ppp(8)."
But this hardly gives details on why it is a bad idea to do so. Also with
the "dynamic" option in natd, obtaining the correct IP address for the PPP
link seems to not be a problem.

I have set up a box with a PPPoE link to the internet, and for various
reasons it was easier for me to use the natd daemon rather than the ppp
option (although it is definitely possible as well).

What I see as better for natd is:
- I know exactly when it is invoked in the ipfw ruleset
- I can have the same configuration wheither I have a LAN based
configuration or a PPP link

Can anybody enlighten me ?

Patrick.