Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 1997 02:14:51 +0200
From:      Peter Korsten <peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl>
To:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Microsoft brainrot (was: r-cmds and DNS and /etc/host.conf)

Peter Korsten (hey, that's me!) shared with us:

> Watch out for Windows 98, where browser and desktop are one (if I
> understand it well). It could well be a first step into the direction
> that user interfaces are heading.

I took the liberty to download MS Internet Explorer 4.0 and Active
Desktop today. OK, so it killed my personal background image and I
can't find it anymore, but for the rest: wow.

I really don't know what to think about it. It's as customizable
as you'd ever want, far more than anything I've ever seen with
any OS before. You can create a HTML page for your desktop and
for any single folder (directory).

That HTML code, BTW, is horribly complicated. I doubt that you'll
be able to understand it without using FrontPage (well, that
figures). Consider it, having a JavaScript application run when
you open a folder...

Knowing Microsoft, I wouldn't invest too much time in devising
all kinds of user interfaces based on TCL, Java or Motif, to
keep up with them. A GUI still is a good idea (networking, for
instance, is scattered over several files in /etc), but I guess
it's browsers from now on, brought to us in the usual gentle MS
way.

- Peter