Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2011 13:26:26 -0600
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
To:        Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PowerPC installer

On 01/23/11 13:17, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> More feedback on the installer:
> I put another SATA hard drive in my PowerMac G5, and decided to install
> on that. This shows up as ad1 in boot messages.
> As usual, I do this from the boot prompt:
> set ha.ata.atapi_dma=0
> boot -v
>
> > From the installer menu, I select
> Install
> Guided
> Auto (use entire disk...)
> and Finished.
> After partitioning the drive, the installer prints
> Checking distribution archives.
> Please wait...
>
> and then nothing more happens. The machine is still alive (the caps
> lock LED turns on and off when the key is used, and if I unplug the
> mouse messages are printed on the screen).
> This lasts for about three or four minutes, the the "Archive
> Extraction" screen comes up, and the installation starts.
>
> After that the installation finishes normally (with the fans on full
> blast, but hey)
The "checking archives" step is kind of slow. It counts the number of
files in the archive to make the progress bars in the next screen, so
there did not seem to be a easy way to indicate progress. I need to find
a way to fix this.

Hopefully, there will be automatic kernel fan control before 9.0 on all
G5 systems (it is already in place for G5 iMacs and some towers).
-Nathan