Date:      Thu, 19 Jan 1995 00:24:35 +0100
From:      Julian Howard Stacey <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: CVS stuff

> From: John Beukema <jbeukema@HK.Super.NET>

> It would make life a great deal easier for those of us overseas if the
> English string messages could be isolated in a string table.  Source code
> could be commented and/or meaningful int #defines provided for debugging
> (#define 11 BUSERR_COREDMP. err_msg[11] = "Bus err core dumped")
> The set of English strings could be translated by anyone wishinbg to
> internationalize a version just by setting an alternate string table.
> Messages could be improved (in any language) by updating the string table.

I spent most of a year in Summer 85 - Summer 86,
automating the production of 7 European Languages, 2 machine architectures,
& several op system releases, for a major Unix vendor.

The `just' in `just by setting an alternate string table'
is over-simplification, it's not exactly fun work either,

If you (John) want to do this massive, never ending, rather boring job
for free, I can only applaud your public spirit :-)

If you seriously can devote the hundreds of hours to repetively editing the
entire ever changing source tree, & have good internet access to enable
you to personally do the tens of thousands of cvs updates splitting
every .c into a .c & several .h (that will probably be necessary)
Then IF all the above is true,
AND if the core team are prepared to allow their OS development to be slowed,
by periodic test, recompiles, updates, fixes in various languages ...
IF THEN I guess the core team might be well advised
to consider making facilities available to you, to enable the effort :-)

Further, before one invest too much time worrying about mere Latin alphabet
conversions, don't forget Cyrillic & Japanese Kanji, & 16 bit wchars etc :-)

Personally I would only do it,
IF a firm waved many large denomination $$ at me !
At which point I'd be delighted to, I might add :-)

---
Julian Stacey	<stacey@freebsd.org>,<jhs@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
		( <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de> is a dial up )