Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 98 16:35:43 PST
From:      David Seifert <seifert@sequent.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/Alpha

> Don't Intel's processors account for 100% of all processors
> installed in Compaq's boxes though?

No.

> > If NT r00l3z, wouldn't a company like Compaq enjoy the advantage of
> > being able to manufacture its own CPUs for its workstations and
> > servers?
>
> I thought Digital has sold most of its production facilities to Intel
> as part of that lawsuit settlement last fall? Meaning that Compaq hasn't
> actually acquired a lot of manufacturing units as part of this deal...

Digital sold their (soon to be obsolete) FAB to Intel.  Presumably
they still have lots of non-FAB manufacturing capacity.

Since Compaq and Digital have been talking about this for two years or so,
I'm assuming Compaq didn't want the FAB or Digital wouldn't have sold it.

> > Wouldn't Compaq also like to have machines running Digital UNIX to
> > compete in the UNIX server market, where it has no real presence other
> > than SCO right now?
>
> I would doubt that. Probably it's more appealing to Compaq to be friends
> with the M company and their NT, and also with Intel, rather then compete
> with them both. So it would be easier for them to say that NT rules the
> world, and convince of that all those fortune 500 companies, especially
> given the fact that NT already runs on Alphas. Besides, NT certainly beats
> any given Unix, right? *g*

Compaq wants to have a full range of computers.  Tandem gave them the
very high end fault-tolerant systems, Digital fills the gap between
The Tandem stuff and Compaq's consumer products.

Compaq needs Unix for this mission.  NT can't get the job done.

> Even if IA-64 is going to suck, it will all be about marketing and related
> areas...

What else is new?

-Dave