Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 22:59:00 +0200
From:      Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <mekanix@vip.cybercity.dk>
To:        Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        nicolai@petri.cc, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is MTRR? ... and slow xine.

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 09:20:00 -0400
Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org> wrote:

> As far as I can tell, if the dvd is encrypted your chances of playing it
> under FreeBSD are pretty low.  I've found the only way to play a DVD is
> to rip it and decrypt it on disk, then point xine at the unencrypted
> file.  Unfortunatly it won't try to use the IFO, so playing anything
> subtitled can be painful (especially if the subtitles are stored across
> multiple subtitle tracks, as they are on many DVDs).  Also, if his DVD
> was region locked, he wouldn't even be able to read the file, much less
> get a couple of frame fragments out before dying.

I've got it working... somewhat now. The fix was to mount the disc at play
the file through the path ('xine /cdrom/bla/bla.vob' instead of 'xine
dvd://bla.vob').

Now, why can't xine handle direct access to to the dvd-drive?

Another issue I've got 2 movies (bot css-encrypted... I think). One plays
fine but the other (The Matrix) freezes xine and plays nothing. Both R2.
The drive should be without regionlock.

Bjarne