Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 2013 23:43:26 +0100
From:      Olivier Duchateau <duchateau.olivier@gmail.com>
To:        Rostislav Krasny <rosti.bsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-xfce@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some icons in the Application Menu are missed

2013/11/4 Rostislav Krasny <rosti.bsd@gmail.com>:
> The freebsd-xfce@freebsd.org address had been somehow
> dropped/forgotten. Forwarding this to the mailing list.

>>> 2. Setting | Keyboard
>>> 3. Multimedia | Audio Mixer
>>>
>>> Instead of the right icons there is an icon with red X. Also, when I
>>> run any of those application the icon in the left top corner of the
>>> window is also looks like a default icon of an application without any
>>> custom icon.
>>
>> Icon with red X, is default icon when real right icon is missing.
>
> Yes, that's what I thought it is.
>
>>> Where those icons are usually located? Within the executable files
>>> themselves? There are a few icons in /usr/local/share/pixmaps/
>>> directory. But most of the icons are not there. Then where are they
>>> taken from?
>>
>> Check if icons-tango and icons-tango-extras are installed. It's
>> default icons theme for the Xfce desktop.
>
> They are installed:
>
> rosti@saturn:~ % pkg info | grep icons-tango
> icons-tango-0.8.90_2           Basic set of icons for the most common usage
> icons-tango-extras-0.1.0_5     A extra set of icons from the Tango project
>
>> You should also install gnome-icon-theme (contains especially keyboard
>> and mixer icons).
>
> Aren't those icons part of the following xfce4 packages?
>
> xfce4-mixer-4.10.0_4 ==> (mixer)
> xfce4-settings-4.10.1 ==> (keyboard)

With Tango some icons are missing, that's why if you install
gnome-icon-theme package everything will be ok.

It's not bug, generic icons (keyboard, mixer, etc) are often used in
Gtk applications, and  they change over time. Now style is symbolic
icons.

To know what is your icons theme, in console try:

xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/IconThemeName

To change:

xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/IconThemeName -s "GNOME" (or Tango,
or another one)

> Or is it a dependecy bug?
>
> What about "Run Program..." menu item (the Application Finder)? Isn't
> it a standard and mandatory part of xfce4?

Run Program, it's xfce4-appfinder (part of Xfce "core"), you can also
run this program with Alt+F2

> BTW a big icon of the Application Finder in a panel exists.
>
> What about icons in the left top corner of the window? Are they the
> same icons as used in the application menu?

Sometimes, depends of applications, but usually they appear on panel.

>> Icons theme are located in /usr/local/share/icons and / or ~/.icons
>> (not available for everyone).
>
> I have Tango and hicolor directories in the /usr/local/share/icons one.
>

>> Generally /usr/local/share/pixmaps directory contains image for
>> desktop files, not for icons theme.
>
> Ok
>
>> You can select your preferred icons theme (Tango, GNOME, or another)
>> with settings manager.
>
> Could it be a bug in the Tango theme and some icons are just missed in
> it or in its FreeBSD package? In Settings | Appearence | Icons I have
> only Tango.

xfce4 (or xfce4-desktop) installs only Tango icons theme.