Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 1996 14:59:43 +0000
From:      mark@linus.demon.co.uk (Mark Valentine)
To:        "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>, "Marty Leisner" <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: streams

> From: "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
> Date: Fri 19 Jan, 1996
> Subject: Re: streams

> It is well-known to be disadvantageous to actually /use/ streams.

"That depends."

Despite its ugliness (and boy is the upper case version ugly), the modular
architecture and the fact that the environment is so well-defined gives the
advantage of portability and flexibility.

At my day job, we certainly have protocol stacks that are fast enough, can
be developed mostly in user space on nice, friendly BSD systems (and Purify'd,
etc...), and run unmodified in many embedded systems with (or without) a
variety of operating systems.  The bits can also be (and are) plugged together
in all sorts of wierd and wonderful ways.

For a good many people, that's pretty advantageous.

(Don't take this as an endorsement of the TLI, however...)

		Mark.