Date:      Mon, 08 Jan 2007 20:56:36 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@flat.berklix.net>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usb/107572: Immidiate System Reboot after removing an activeusb-stick

Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR usb/107572; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
> To: Andreas Burghardt <a-burghardt@gmx.de>
> Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
> Subject: Re: usb/107572: Immidiate System Reboot after removing an
> 	activeusb-stick
> Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 15:58:27 +0100
>
>  Quoting Andreas Burghardt <a-burghardt@gmx.de> (from Fri, 5 Jan 2007
>  17:16:47 GMT):

>  > I removed a Job-it (2.0 USB, 1GB) USB-Stick from its slot while a
>  > file copy to this stick was still in progress. The result was an
>  > immidiate reboot of FreeBSD without syncing or unmounting any logal
>  > file systems.
>
>  Yes, removing a stick while the FS is still mounted or a direct access
>  is in progress is something you should not do. This is a known
>  problem. The workaround for now: don't do that!

I used to mount my sticks & umounted via AMD, that saved me some
pain when pulling sticks without thinking.  For some reason I stopped
doing it that way, (can't remember why some problem), but meaning
to try again.  Would be a good idea if we gave syntax examples in
manuals, at least that would save some of the people some of the
pain some of the time (whilst not actually being The solution) :-)

--
Julian Stacey.  BSD Unix C Net Consultancy, Munich/Muenchen  http://berklix.com
Mail Ascii, not HTML.		Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.