Date:      Sun, 19 Jan 1997 20:55:25 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Oliver Wilson <owilson@cam.org>
Cc:        Dick Olson <rolson@ns.awanet.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to create additional swap partition

On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, Oliver Wilson wrote:

> Nadav Eiron wrote:
> >
> > Dick Olson wrote:
> > > (BSD) file space but I do have some additional disk space (wd1) which
> > > was used as a DOS partition that I could use as a second SWAP partition.
> > > I have tried the following but was unable to boot FreeBSD after creating
> > > the partition.
> > >
> > >         /stand/sysinstall
> > >         customize
> > >         create partition
> > >         write
> > >         crash (lots of error msgs of assorted types).......
> > >         Ask for assistance
> > >
> > > tried three times with no success. Read all the manuals, usergroups, FAQ
> > > with no success. I am also using the generic kernel (FreeBSD 2.1.5,
> > > XFree86 3.1.2).
> > >

> > If I'm getting it right, you're trying to cerate a new FreeBSD slice on
> > a disk that already has one. In such a case, you can only boot from the
> > *first* BSD slice on the disk. This means that you must move your root
> > partition to the new slice. I may be wrong, but I think the only way out
> > is to reinstall...
> > (anyone care to correct me?)
> >
> > Nadav
>
> If this is true, then once FreeBSD is installed on a second slice, it
> will not be able to use any repartitioned diskspace (from DOS partition)
> without reinstallation????
>
> Ouch. I was just about to repartition DOS on my machine!
>
> Oliver Wilson

I'm not sure about this case. Assuming you had a DOS slice, numbered 1,
and a FreeBSD slice numbered 2 and then you split the DOS slice in half,
the new slice will be physically before the FreeBSD slice, but will have
an index of 3 (I guess, never tried it). I don't know what might happen
in such a case. I think you may want to try. After all, this *should* all
reversible. If you find that after adding the new slice FreeBSD no longer
boots, remove the newly created partition.

DISCLAIMER: I've never tried it and I take no responsibility for any loss
of data or functionality. Proceed at your own risk!

Anyone ever had any experience with such a procedure?

Nadav