Date:      Sat, 29 Jan 2000 19:29:17 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Jay Nelson <noslenj@swbell.net>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>, Ataualpa Albert Carmo Braga <atabraga@iqm.unicamp.br>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   People who should know better (was Re: JFS)

* Jay Nelson <noslenj@swbell.net> [000129 19:10] wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Ataualpa Albert Carmo Braga wrote:
> >
> >> Is there something like JFS (AIX) in FreeBSD ?
> >
> >Please consult the mailing-list archives.
>
> Why? It seems like a reasonable question from someone who is familiar
> with AIX, using STABLE and new to the list. Maybe a helpful pointer
> would redirect the other people wondering the same thing.
>
> Sometimes, it's a little difficult for someone new to the list to know
> what was discussed months ago. They may not realize that there is a
> wealth of arcana buried in the archives.
>
> As FreeBSD grows in popularity, newcomers will ask the old questions
> before they understand the mail archives and handbook. Or they will
> get frustrated with answers like yours and ask the question directly.
>
> The price of attracting new users, I guess.

Anyone know knows what JFS is or other interesting nooks and crannies
of unix ought to be experianced enough to lookup an answer to thier
question beforehand.

If you did a search you'd see this question comes up every other day
or so and sometimes even more often.

If you're asking, you ought to know.

It'd be nice if all unsubscribed/just-subscribed
people got an email back saying:
  "hey have you searched here?  if you can't find an answer for
  your question that wasn't answered _3 days ago_ please resend to
  i_really_got_a_question@freebsd.org, or subscribe"

:)

-Alfred