Date:      Sun, 03 Oct 1999 14:59:06 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gjp@in-addr.com>
To:        "Kelsey Cummings" <kc@neteze.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: email content filtering

"Kelsey Cummings" wrote in message ID
<05eb01bf0b86$3ffcd280$33f9c9d0@neteze.com>:
> Hey all-
>     I'm considering adding some more advanced de-spamming to my email
> services.  I'd like to provide content filtering (for virus signitures,
> buffer overruns in subject lines, etc, etc.)  Also, ideally, real time
> blocking for inbound spam.  IE: I've recieved 20 copies of the same message
> for different customers, I'm going to spool all further messages that look
> like this one for manual processing (approval or rejection by the
> postmaster) in a a single group.
>     Currently I am more concerned about inbound SMTP than what my customers
> are sending.   So- what I'm asking is:  what mail server could be used like
> this (after a message passed the filters it would be forwarded to the
> existing pop3/smtp server.)  I've heard that you can do this with Sendmail
> (although its way above my head) but I've also heard that procmail and qmail
> are the best choices.  Anybody have any experience doing this?  What qould
> you recommend?

Content based filtering is a BAD idea.  While your idea of dumping it
into a different directory is a good one, it also means you have to
have someone there 24/7 to check that directory manually and approve
the mail.

Also, spammers have taken to injecting random text into the body of
the message, changing the subject, changing from lines, etc, to try
and combat simple content checks.

You are more likely (IMNSHO) to have better results doing IP based
filtering ... use some sort of IPC between all your inbound mail
servers and figure out what IP address is hitting you hard with
inbound mail for multiple recipients.  Exceptions would need to be in
place to stop you blocking (for example) AOL, but in theory it should
work pretty well.