Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2013 18:39:54 +0200
From:      Eduardo Morras <emorrasg@yahoo.es>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recipie for CPU souffle'

On Mon, 01 Apr 2013 20:02:02 -0700
"Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com> wrote:
> I really wish that one or the other of those tools allowed setting a
> threshold CPU temp, beyond which the tool would emit an ear piercing
> alarm via the motherboard speaker... you know.. in case the regular
> external stereo speakers are turned off.
>
> <question>
> What *is* the best way to achieve the above effect, i.e. to arrange
> for the machine to scream for help in case it is getting too hot?
>
> I don't want it to just die, like it is doing now.  I want it to scream
> so that I can rush over and at least try to do an orderly shutdown.
> </question>

Among other startup scritps in my laptop, I use this for setup the temperature threshold:

root@camibar:/root # cat .setcooling.sh
#!/bin/sh
sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.user_override=1
sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV=65C
sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.user_override=0

Default value is 101C, which I think is excessive optimistic value.

---   ---
Eduardo Morras <emorrasg@yahoo.es>