Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 11:33:10 -0500
From:      John J Rieser <jjr@grauel.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   "Re: USB Zip drive"

Talk about timing!

I was just mucking around with a 100MB USB Zip myself and asking similar
questions...

 > Dan Nelson writes:
 >
 > You have a couple choices for a)
 >
 > 1. wire down your devices in your kernel config so each physical device
 > (bus 1, id 1, lun 0) always appears as the same logical device (da0,
 > etc).  see LINT for examples.

I've checked the LINT file and it explained this as though I have a SCSI
controller installed.  What if the USB zip drive is used in a machine that
doesn't have a SCSI controller?  Same LINT code apply?  I'd don't want to
plug/unplug everytime the machine boots/reboots..Is this possible?

 > 2. shuffle the SCSI IDs so your ZIP has a higher ID

??? I'm not sure, but I don't believe my USB zip has a SCSI ID
switch/shunt/jumper/etc...Sorry if this sounds silly, but what exactly do
you mean here?  What kernel config args are you suggesting?

 > 3. edit /etc/fstab and change the mountpoints to reflect the fact that
 > your drives have moved.
 >
 > for b), make sure your scsi bus is idle, plug ZIP thing in and run
 > "camcontrol rescan".  This is dangerous, since you have a chance of
 > zapping hardware.  I've done it successfully a number of times, but
 > don't recommend others do it :) Alternatively, you can hook the ZIP
 > drive up but just leave it off until the system is booted.  Then turn
 > it on and run "camcontrol rescan".

I thought USB devices were "hot-swapable"?

Apologies to all for the newbie questions!

John J. Rieser			jjr@grauel.com
PO Box 6249			Tel: (765)477-6000 \
100 Sawmill Road				    x327
Lafayette, IN  47903		     (800)489-4891 /