Date:      Fri, 3 May 1996 15:49:53 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lmbench IDE anomaly

On Thu, 2 May 1996, Chuck Robey wrote:

> On Thu, 2 May 1996, Narvi wrote:
>
> > > Jonathan, I was looking at the new Tyan MB's, they say that they use IDE
> > > bus mastering, and claim a major speed increase.  I am not sure (I am a
> > > SCSI bigot myself) but maybe yours claims of SCSI dominanace over
> > > IDE won't be so automatically true shortly.
> >
> > I have a strane feeling all Triton motherboards have the feature(?) as the
> > IDE controller is part of the chipset. Or am I again remebering falsely?
> > Perhaps not as Win95 tends to recognise it's there (but say that bus
> > mastering is not supported). So are 486 motherboards based on the SiS
> > chipset and most probably also several others.
> >

> Narvi, I was referring to the new Triton II boards.  Take a look at
  ^^^^^^ ? Read LoTR again.
> http://www.tyan.com, they are offering drivers (for Win95) that do
> bus-mastering for IDE.  I guess the hardware solution is out.  I will
> have one of these boards myself shortly (whee!) but I don't run IDE, so I
> won't get involved with that part of it.

It doesn't matter, whetever it is Triton II or not - it is not the only
one, and driver's are also out for the others (for SCO with SiS chipset
and perhaps also others, I don't know about BM - haven't tried). The
trick is that there are several boards and chipsets out with PCI IDE
busmasters but no FreeBSD drivers for them. Besides, I don't think the
IDE parts of Triton/Triton II would be much different - it wouldn't make
much sense.

> Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu, I run FreeBSD-current on n3lxx + Journey2
>
> Three Accounts for the Super-users in the sky,
>   Seven for the Operators in their halls of fame,
> Nine for Ordinary Users doomed to crie,
>   One for the Illegal Cracker with his evil game
> In the Domains of Internet where the data lie.
>   One Account to rule them all, One Account to watch them,
>   One Account to make them all and in the network bind them.

	Sander