Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 14:16:23 -0400
From:      Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Subject:   Re: Proper uses for MFS?

You, Matthew Dillon, were spotted writing this on Thu, May 25, 2000 at 10:57:33AM -0700:

>     I don't particularly like to use MFS for 'large' partitions, mainly
>     because cached data blocks wind up in core memory twice (once in MFS's
>     memory map, and once in the VM page cache).

You've said this several times in threads on MFS during recent months,
and I've always wanted to ask: is that a necessary 'feature' of MFS's
architecture, or something which could possibly be fixed without
too much hard work? For instance, would it be possible to force
VM not to cache MFS pages, etc.?

--
Anatoly Vorobey,
mellon@pobox.com http://pobox.com/~mellon/