Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 2004 13:50:26 GMT
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/71529: (Strongly!) suggested change to listed address for postmaster@

The following reply was made to PR docs/71529; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To: david@catwhisker.org, roam@ringlet.net
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, jmb@FreeBSD.org
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 06:46:35 -0700 (PDT)

 [PR about postmaster@FreeBSD.org email address documentation]

 >What do you think about the following three patches?  You can see them
 >and the resulting versions of the Contributors article at
 >http://people.FreeBSD.org/~roam/pm/

 My current favorite is the 2nd --  the one with the "Postmaster
 Team Prologue".  It's clear and unambiguous; it's easily changed as the
 membership of the team changes.

 In the first patch, I think I'd be slightly more inclined to use "Each
 is reachable" vs. "Both are reachable" (in case something based on the
 first patch is finally selected).  But then, if jmb decides to not be
 listed, that makes things awkward:  one doesn't write "each" to refer to
 the only element of a set or member of a team.  And "both" only works as
 long as there are precisely 2 members of the team.

 The 3rd patch doesn't strike me as being easily adapted to changes in
 the size of the team.

 >Any other suggestions on wording this are welcome :)

 :-)  Just recall Victor Borge's line (referring to the English
 language):  "It's *your* language; I'm just trying to *use* it!"

 >If you think this sentence is confusing, then change one pig.

 :-)  I recall reading that line in one of Hofstadter's columns -- I
 think it was in his "Metamagical Themas" column in Scientific American
 (successor column to Martin Gardner's "Mathematical Games".

 Thanks!

 Peace,
 david
 Evidence of curmudgeonliness:  becoming irritated with the usage of the
 word "speed" in contexts referring to quantification of network
 performance, as opposed to "bandwidth" or "latency."