Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 2004 18:55:13 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        zeratul2@wanadoo.es
Subject:   Re: some PRs

--Boundary-02=_3z/+AlCc2BpJr9+

On Monday 19 July 2004 16:13, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <20040719075952.GG57678@darkness.comp.waw.pl>
>
>             Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org> writes:
> : On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 12:58:25AM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> : +> : Even if it is used by some programms, I don't see it in the base
> : system. +> : It can be always implemented as a kernel module and
> : maintained outside +> : the tree.
> : +>
> : +> Given that it is implemented in this driver in about 20 lines, I thi=
nk
> : +> that it makes sense to have it in the base.  Suggesting it be
> : +> maintained outside of the tree is just plain silly.  It should be
> : +> brought in or abadoned.
> :
> : It isn't even used by one of our 11000 ports and you want to bring it
> : into base system? We don't have other devices in the tree, which are
> : actually used by some ports. I still think, that if a port which is usi=
ng
> : /dev/full will be created, device should be maintained there.
> : EOT.
>
> I guess my point is that that creates so much more work that it seems
> like overkill.  We often put things into the base system for
> compatibility, but rely on out of system things for higher level
> functionality.

The question to me is, do we really want to support (read fertilize) such a=
=20
stupid thing? Given the chance that once we do support it people will use i=
t.=20
In my opinion it is bad to integrate something into base that we agree is=20
nothing one should ever have created (at least that's my reading of the=20
thread so far). I see no user-pessure for this.

I do agree however, that suggesting to maintain something that cannot be do=
ne=20
in userland outside the tree is not a good solution. Still, I feel like thi=
s=20
is something that belongs into the linux compat code, at best (maybe behind=
=20
an "option LINUX_STUPIDITY" ....)

=2D-=20
/"\  Best regards,			| mlaier@freebsd.org
\ /  Max Laier				| ICQ #67774661
 X   http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/	| mlaier@EFnet
/ \  ASCII Ribbon Campaign		| Against HTML Mail and News

--Boundary-02=_3z/+AlCc2BpJr9+

--Boundary-02=_3z/+AlCc2BpJr9+--