Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2001 15:09:21 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Apple]RE: Mundie, Perens, GPL, BSD etc again

At 8:39 PM -0700 6/16/01, Bzdik BSD wrote:

>  How can you explain something you never knew? You just learn from some
>  other post about tax write-off and switch into e-bay pricing -> into
>  'explanation' of how Universe works.

	How can I explain the used computer scene for Apple?  Oh, I don't
know.  Maybe by being a MacFanatic since 1984, and owning an ancient
Mac SE with dual 800K floppy drives, as well as a PowerMacintosh
7200/90, and having actually paid attention to what these things are
worth over the years.

>                                        I am talking about a trend in
>  market share and marketing , you are talking about how good stale
>  apples are. I know that well enough. I have a few 7200/90 that still
>  make me money every day. They are excellent at what they are used for.

	Great!  Then you should also know that if you go onto eBay, you
will see 7300 through 7600 computers selling for $1000 or more, when
less money could buy you a brand-new iMac.  Comparable money could
buy you a new "iceBook".

	A logic board upgrade from the 7200 series to the 7300 is
available for almost nothing (I've seen them selling on eBay for
$10), and with that, and the right MAChCarrier card from XLR8, you
could have a Dual G4 MPe PowerMacintosh that runs at 450Mhz today,
and with new 7450 chips in the near future, could potentially run at
800Mhz in the future (the older chips allow only a 9x multiple over
the bus speed, while the newer chips allow 16x).

	This new machine could run MacOS X, NetBSD, or whatever you're
likely to want.  So, why shouldn't it be valuable?

	Now, it will have a slower bus, and a slower hard drive, but then
the machine was introduced back in 1995, and it's amazing that it is
useful at all after six years.

>  Then you start talking about Trinitron, while I am pointing to the
>  specific quite often poorly calibrated and converged [allegedly]15 inch
>  tubes iMac are equipped with.

	All monitors until very recently were sold on a measurement basis
that was diagonal and based on the physical measurements of the front
glass behind the bezel, and not on the real-world images that could
be displayed.  That practice has recently changed, although you still
see monitors sold with the old numbers and "(XXX viewable)"
afterwards.

>                                 Those are not all Trinitrons, btw.

	Every last one I've ever seen is a Trinitron.  If you have
evidence otherwise, and you can substantiate your claim, I'd love to
see it.

>                                                                     And in
>  pre-press environment i worked we preferred Hitachis with their .22
>  raterops amd superscan supreme lines.

	RasterOps and SuperScan were both well-known names many years
ago, but I'm pretty sure they're both based on Trinitron technology.
Sony had many licensees of that technology, including companies
you've never heard of in the computer or pre-press fields (such as
Ikegami), because they were instead the gold-standard reference for
broadcast television.

	Again, if you have supporting evidence that Hitachi used any
other technology in these two lines, I'd love to see it.

>  don't view MSFT as my enemy - by resisiting something you support it.
>  let it fall on its own burdened by its weight and wars on thousand
>  fronts. This war against MSFT is pathetic, where are you and where is
>  Gates.

	If war is not conducted against Gatesware, then how will there
*BE* thousands of fronts on which there are wars which will help it
collapse under it's own weight?!?  This is a complete and utter
non-sequitur -- remove A so that B can collapse under the weight of
all the other A.

	Riiiiiiiiiiight.

>                                                   unless acknowledging
>  being brainwashed keeps your fatso self-esteem up, since the very
>  notion of brain is what you need. And not knowing the difference
>  between chip and chipset fully justifies the longish signature - sure
>  sign of an inferiority complex fighter.

	Ad-hominem attacks are the last breathless defense of the
clueless and the pointless.  Obviously, you are both.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>          */