Date:      Mon, 05 Jan 1998 02:03:56 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Time to retire fetch?

I just noticed that FTP in -current now supports http:// style
fetches, a feature which seems to have crept in under my nose during
the sync with NetBSD's ftp client.  Given that, the questions now in
my mind are:

	1. Do we want to retire fetch and just use ftp now as our
	   FETCH_CMD in -current?  Would any fetch features be missed
	   that would also be overtly difficult to merge into the ftp
	   client?  Strengthening one tool rather than putting two
	   into competition is obviously a worthy goal if it's possible
	   to do it.

	2. Do we simply want to ignore this new feature of ftp, perhaps
	   under the premise that having an ftp client fetch http URLs
	   is rather counter-intuitive if one is a stickler for naming
	   conventions, and just go on like we are now?

	3. Given that ftp probably doesn't deal well with the file:/
	   URLs that can also be passed to fetch(1) from the ports
	   collection, does fetch(1) perhaps want to stick around but
	   simply become a smaller pre-parsing script which hands its
	   work off to other tools rather than doing it itself?

I've no clear preference right now, I'm just musing out loud.
Comments?

					Jordan