Date:      Sun, 19 Oct 1997 17:56:10 -0400
From:      Drew Derbyshire <ahd@kew.com>
To:        chad@dcfinc.com
Cc:        Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>, root@eyelab.psy.msu.edu, dkelly@hiwaay.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anti-spam sendmail in 2.2.5?

Chad R. Larson wrote:
> The biggest problem is the places where the name of the system as
> reported by HELO and it's name as reported by DNS can legitimately
> differ.  For example, mail that has been through a proxy server, or a
> NAT.  That's why it's "under consideration", instead of implemented.  We
> might be evaluating the lessor of two evils.

There a number of reasons for the names to differ; my mail hub announces
itself as pandora.hh.kew.com (which is one of its addresses), but being
a multi-homed host most remote sites see it as kendra.ne.mediaone.net --
a name I do accept but never generate, prefering kendra.net.kew.com,
which is a DNS hack on my part.

So that rule might be overly strict.

-ahd-
--
Internet:       ahd@kew.com             Voice:          781-279-9812

 "I have PMS and root password.  Don't mess with me."       - NetMeg