Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 1996 09:49:35 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: We need to do another XFree86 release for -current someday soon..

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> The problem is simple: xf86config (and much of the rest of X) is still
> looking for libc.so.2.2, among perhaps other things.  We've still no
> "2.1compat" distribution, so I decided to let this one ride as most

We should have one.  IMNSHO, this is more important than an updated
version of XFree86.

The problem with XFree86 is that it would be a bit unfair to release
their 3.1.2 right now, simply relinked against the new libc.  They
have done a *huge* amount of work in their latest betas, many graphics
boards that didn't work erlier do now, so giving out a rather old
version but pretend it were a new one isn't quite right.

Alas, XFree86 is still not yet ready for a new release, all you can
get by now are betas (and it doesn't make any sense to put them on a
CD -- the beta servers have an expiration date that's probably over
before the CD ships).

--
cheers, J"org