Date:      Sat, 5 May 2001 05:32:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        parv_@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Battery recall affecting some Dell Inspiron 5000-series laptops

>Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 19:50:11 -0400
>From: parv <parv_@yahoo.com>

>> >also, apm works. finally. even shutdown -p now; woo huhoo...

>> Great!  Was that because of the BIOS update?  If so, how does the BIOS
>> identify itself when you boot?

>yes, it was the BIOS update alright; have been waiting for it since i
>bought the computer in jan 2001. before/without this update, kernel
>used to panic after boot and/or while loading itself whenever apm(d)
>was enabled.

OK; the pre-update symptom ypu describe is what happened to me before
the BIOS update I did, as well.

>following should be able to satisfy your curiosity:

>apm: found APM BIOS v1.2, connected at v1.2

Actually, no.  That merely identifies the "level" of "APM support" the
BIOS provides.  I was interested in the string displayed at power-on:

>> (The one I use identifies itself as:
>> N38W2 BIOS Revision 1.06L.T01  (for Linux Test)

like that.

>that's interesting ... not only due to the id above,  but also
>the file (to create bios flash disk) is named A06_I5ke.exe ...
>(if that means anything)

Well, the "I5ke" undoubtedly refers to "Inspiron 5000e".  And I just
checked; it appears that the actual BIOS file on the floppy image I used
is named "38w2106a.rom".  (My machine is a Compal N38W2; during the BIOS
update, the message was emitted -- apparently from the "autoexec.bat"
file:

FOR USE ONLY WITH INSPIRON 5000e AND COMPAL 38W2 SYSTEMS

which is also somewhat suggestive.)

>ps: david, i have cc'd to -mobile, first time i forgot; hope you
>won't mind.

No problem.  I'll keep -mobile in the recipient list.

Cheers,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.