Date:      Wed, 21 Dec 2016 04:01:50 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Wyle Coyote <lovetofly_2000@yahoo.com>
To:        "ports@FreeBSD.org" <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   issues in several ports.

History background.
First let me say I've been running freebsd since 4.X, I resisted upgrading =
after 7.4 for as long as I could and always patch.I upgraded to 10.3 releas=
e installed via dvd at the start of December.Before you say, it is not the =
machine. Check the hardware and it still runs freebsd 7.4 without error.
Yes it is an AMD64

in the uw-imap 2007f it will not compile under the port. In fact I am famil=
iar with imap and the client fairly well.=C2=A0I can get the program to bui=
ld from source, which I cannot in updated ports.=C2=A0 I also added the -lc=
rypt
Tried just the c-client out of ports, same problem, no build.

When trying to use php5.6.29 out the ports it also fails to build for 10.3=
=C2=A0=20

Then we have the root ca_nss package since someone at freebsd forgot that f=
etch needs this to check https:. It fails to build as well. Now I was able =
to use the package install to get around this one. Still isn't ports suppos=
e to be a viable option?if we manage to get a compiling then linking is imp=
ossible. Could not read symbols: Bad value
cc: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation=
) I am guessing we are having a boundary issue from 32 to 64 bits. Just a g=
uess. I am not familiar enough with clang to address the issues.

What is the common thread on all these ports?=C2=A0could not read symbols: =
Bad value
cc: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation=
)
GCC may not have been fully compliant, but Clang appears to have a few more=
 issues.Now the one program that did compile and I could link to libiconv l=
ibraries, which build out of the ports,=20
that will not build of the source.tar ball.
=C2=A0Even straight source=C2=A0 (tar balls) that works perfect on 7.4 will=
 not on 10.3=C2=A0 could not read symbols: Bad value cc: error: linker comm=
and failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation). So what is the magi=
c switch for this compiler to get these to compile?
Any advice would be great?=C2=A0I think we need to fix a few of these. I am=
 betting it is the new compiler. Seems a lot of these started showing on 10=
. and not before.
Thank you,Rick