Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 1997 14:53:33 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ernie Elu <ernie@eis.net.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Compiling cvsup, what a joke

So after several people told me to use cvsup to keep the source tree current
on my cleints servers, I thought I would give it a go.

On 3 out of 4 machines trying to build cvsup failed, in all cases during the
build of the silly modula 3 libraries. I gave up on the other 6 machine.

One machine ran out of disk space, it had 27MB free!
Another ran out of virtual memory, it had 33MB of RAM and 71MB of VM free!
The other stopped with ld: -lXaw: no match, I guess cause it does not run X.

So, the obvious answer is well "just install the binary version of cvsup".

But, whats the point of installing something you can't automatically upgrade
if the whole purpose of the excercise is to keep the system current with all
the 2.2 patches?

No wonder it sup and not cvsup that is in the standard distribution.

Is there any hope that someone one day will write a version of cvsup that
does not depend on modula-3?  Like perhaps using C or C++  so that we can
have cvsup in the standard source tree.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

- Ernie.