Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2001 23:34:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      <gsutter@FreeBSD.org>
To:        jmallett@newgold.net, gsutter@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/26789: plural of dwarf is dwarves

Synopsis: plural of dwarf is dwarves

State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: gsutter
State-Changed-When: Sun Apr 22 23:08:51 PDT 2001
State-Changed-Why:
Both "dwarfs" and "dwarves" are now acceptable plurals for "dwarf",
although "dwarfs" is without doubt the more proper.  Perhaps we should
change it to "dwarrows" in honor of the master?

A modern dictionary reference:
http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=dwarves

From Lord of the Rings, Appendix F (II), On Translation:
------
It may be observed that in this book as in The Hobbit the form dwarves
is used, although the dictionaries tell us that the plural of dwarf is
dwarfs.  It should be dwarrows (or dwerrows), if singular and plural
had each gone its own way down the years, as have man and men, or goose
and geese.  But we no longer speak of a dwarf as often as we do of a
man, or even of a goose, and memories have not been fresh enough among
Men to keep hold of a special plural for a race now abandoned to folk
tales, where at least a shadow of truth is preserved, or at last to
nonsense-stories in which they have become mere figures of fun. But in
the Third Age something of their old character and power is still
glimpsed, if already a little dimmed [...]  It is to mark this that I
have ventured to use the form dwarves, and so to remove them a little,
perhaps, from the sillier tales of these latter days.