Date:      Wed, 04 Sep 1996 19:34:35 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth), nate@mt.sri.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Latest Current build failure

>> I cannot do "what I want".
>
>This doesn't follow from what you've just stated.  The _only_ new element in
>your masterplan is the creation of the -recent thread, which as a direct
>derivative of -current, can be done by any site or sites currently
>using any of the -current update mechanisms.  With access to sup/CVSup/CTM
>you can simulate reasonably accurately the master CVS repository from which
>all changes would be flowing.  Then you can implement the downstream
>system(s) either with your own resources or with some volunteers.
>
>If your plan works, more will join the bandwagon.  If it sinks, we don't go
>down with you.

   It may or may not be obvious, but there is only one significant reason why
we ("we" being the people who are responsible for the distribution of FreeBSD
in its various forms) resist change. The simple fact it that we're already
loaded to the limit of the amount of work that we can do, and thus the
prospect of changing the current model to one that is even more complex than
what we're doing now does not at all sound appealing. We don't have the time
for this. It's arguable if the new scheme would even be of significant benefit.
Please realize that I'm sure it would be of significant benefit to you
personally and perhaps to some larger set of people, but as always, we have to
look at the big picture and balance our resources to satisfy the largest
number of people with the effort that we expend. It has to be this way for
both practical and pragmatic reasons.
   However...like Michael just suggested, nothing prevents you from setting up
such a framework for a "-recent" distribution. If you come up with a model
that works, we might even arrange for it to be replicated in various places
to increase the distribution potential. The key here is that you are (from
my perspective anyway) trying to force us to adopt some personal grand plan
of yours and even if it was a good idea, trying to get us to do more work
through coercion is entirely the wrong approach and you should expect your
efforts to fail.

-DG

David Greenman