Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 14:18:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      James Howard <howardjp@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Duane H. Hesser" <dhh@androcles.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD kernel as a replacement for Linux kernel

On Thu, 25 May 2000, Duane H. Hesser wrote:

> Anyone remember the old Pyramid OSX 'universe' command?
>
> In the mid-80s, when the "System V" versus "BSD" dichotomy was in
> full bloom, Pyramid delivered a system with two "universes" available.
> A user could specify 'universe bsd' and work in a pure BSD environment;
> 'universe att' placed you in a pure S5 environment (of the time).
> A user in the BSD environment could "cross the line" by issuing a
> command like "att ls", or even "att cc ....".  The universe was
> marked by a flag which affected the interpretation of "conditional
> symbolic links".  A separate syscall was available to create
> conditional symbolic links.
>
> Sequent also implemented conditional symbolic links, although I
> seem to recall that the Pyramid implementation was a bit more
> complete.
>
> How about a 'FreeBSD' universe and a 'Linux' universe?

It would be cool if it were extensible and you could strap on a
Solaris/SVR4/SVR5, HURD, or even Mac and Windows universes later.

Since I mention it, does anyone know the major differences between SCO's
new SVR5 (Unixware 7) and traditional SVR4 implementations?  Going to
SCO's website all I get is market-speak.

Jamie