Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 1995 08:48:45 -0700
From:      Timothy Moore <moore@WOLFE.net>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        jmb@kryten.Atinc.COM, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems installing a serial card...

   From: Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
   Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 19:07:32 +0930 (CST)

   Timothy Moore stands accused of saying:

   >    Not really; it's all abuse of terminology.  What brand are the 16550's?
   >    Are they, by any chance, inside a Startech 16C552?
   > No, but close; the board (made by Kouwell) has two Startech 16C550CP
   > chips on it.

   Hmm. I have some '552 cards that are total crap (they'll actually crash
   the system they're in after a few minutes), but I have a card with
   two 16C550CP's on it.  Can you send me _all_ of the numbers off the top
   of the chips?  I can't remember offhand whether Startech are kind enough
   to print date codes and the like on their parts, but it would be useful
   to compare them with some that are known to work.

ST16550CP H9509

   Just on the off chance; what else do you have in the machine?  And for
   the record, what are the other chips on this card?  I presume there's

Just an Oak VLB video card and a fairly generic ISA IDE/2S/1P/1G
controller.

   some decode logic of some sort : it might be helpful to know what
   else was hanging around there.

There are 3 GD75189A and 2 GD75188 chips on the card, plus some random
TTL logic.

   From: Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
   Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 19:10:24 +0930 (CST)

   I should have also asked : Are the parts socketed? (You could try
   swapping in a 'real' PC16C550D (a NatSemi part) and comparing notes.

They are socketed, but this is getting kind of ridiculous; I'd rather
just return the card and get one that works with FreeBSD.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but: it is possible to add two serial
ports to a PC that already has two, right?

Tim