Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 00:08:14 -0500
From:      "Eric F Crist" <ecrist@adtechintegrated.com>
To:        "'Ryan Thompson'" <ryan@sasknow.com>, "'Bill Moran'" <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Password security

Ryan Thompson wrote to Bill Moran:

[...]

Yes, certainly. Calculating the entropy of that beast would be a bit
difficult... One could just say 26^20, but if I know (or guess) it's
English, and every letter doesn't occur with nearly the same
probability, it's less than that. If I happen to know your algorithm,
and have a dictionary of poetry and/or lyrics handy, it's a *lot* less
than that. If you can mix upper/lower and add punctuation (i.e., "Lo,
Fred's chickens laid 24 eggs!" => "L,F'scl2e!", makes for a stronger
password). More stats than I'd like to do at the moment.  :-)

[...]

What I failed to point out was that, if you're using FreeBSD, which I
assume you as you're posting to this group, the FreeBSD login utility
still only recognizes 8 character passwords, unless you've changed that.
A 20 character password will still do you no good since:

ad93fj93ja@#9cjf@jfd

is looked at as the exact same password as:

ad93fj93e93jf!edkjie

Just a thought....

Eric F Crist
President/Sys Admin