Date:      Sat, 07 Dec 1996 17:20:52 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        mika ruohotie <bsdcur@shadows.aeon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ultimate make world

In message <199612071534.RAA18490@shadows.aeon.net>, mika ruohotie writes:
>just wondering, have anyone ever compiled the world using enough
>ram so that _everything_ is ran from memory?
>
>just for "fun" i would like to know the ultimate make world -time,
>but i dont have the ram needed at home i think, just 64 megs.
>
>at work i have lots more but at the moment it's bad edo and cc dies fast...
>
>oh, and i think that way the actual bus speed/cpu differencies could be
>measured.

I belive that I still holds the published record: 21 minutes.

Using 130 IBM Valuepoints with 16M and i486DX2/66 on approx 15 ethernets
feeding into two Cisco 7010 on an 100Mbit/sec ATM net and landing on
3 Sun SS1000 with filesystems striped over 30 Seagate Elite-2 disks.

The slowest part was actually the central farming make process.  It
seldom managed to hold more than about 75 machines busy at any one
time :-)

It is interesting that single CPU times are approaching this now,
about 30 months later :-)

whois: [PHK]                | phk@tfs.com           TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Power and ignorance is a disgusting cocktail.