Date:      Fri, 31 May 2002 06:03:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        Martin Karlsson <martin.karlsson@visit.se>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual language (was: cvs commit: src/sys/alpha/alpha clock.c)

On Mon, 27 May 2002, Martin Karlsson wrote:

:* Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> [2002-05-26 15.07 -0700]:

:[...snipped good points...]

:> Frankly, most people in the U.S. simply can't understand the ethnic
:> based conflicts in various parts of the world.  From the general
:> population's point of view, it's impossible to tell an ethnic Serb
:> from an ethnic Croat, unless one of them stands up at a podium and
:> yells "_I_ am an _ethnic Serb_!".

:I can't (and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this) understand
:how one can _not_ understand the ethnic based conflicts in various
:parts of the world. The U.S. is perhaps something of a special case in this
:respect, because its population is composed of people from
:all around the world, with basically only two unifying factors, the
:constitution and the English language.
:
:BTW, did you know that Finns carry knives all the time and basically live in
:the sauna, and that Norwegians are somewhat stupid? Well, of course
:this is not true(?), but these are "truths" everybody knows in
:Sweden. (And Finns asume all Swedish men are gay because... etc.
:etc.)
:Are there American myths of this sort about Canadians or Mexicans?

Canadians are Americans without guns who drink too much and live in the
frozen wastelands of the north; Mexicans are the nice Spanish speaking
people who join gangs and clean houses and do other shit jobs we don't
want, but we bitch about them entering our country anyway.

I could possibly make that more offensive if I was really trying, but
that's probably enough stereotyping to piss at least a few people off.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"