Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2018 10:33:48 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6722@twc.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade vs. portmaster

from STefan Esser:

> I used to be a portupgrade user, long ago (years before the introduction
> of the new package tools), but then mobed over to using portmaster.

> When the package system (PKG-NG) war completely reworked, I heard that
> portupgrade was better adapted to the new tools, but did not verify that
> claim (and instead submitted a few fixes for portmaster).

> I'm working on a complete rewrite on portmaster, since the original author
> has left the FreeBSD project, years ago, and I found it very hard to wrap
> my mind around his design when I implemented FLAVOR support in portmaster.

> My time is now spent on completing that new portmaster version, but I still
> fix problems reported in the current portmaster port (but will not implement
> any changes that are not bug-related, to be able to concentrate on the new
> version).

I'd like the opportunity to try out a new revamped portmaster, having fallen behind with my FreeBSD installations.

Current portmaster, even before FLAVORS, was clumsy upgrading a large number of ports, especially when there is an upgrade of perl or png.

I see hardly any mention of synth on the freebsd-ports list.  Have synth users become disenchanted?

One downside is that synth fails to install build dependencies, so I have to pkg install all of these separately, very annoying.

I was bitten just yesterday trying to build cross-compiling tools for Haiku when make info was missing because texinfo was built but not installed.

But I was able to recover with pkg install after checking my repository.

With portmaster, I need to specify ports by category/portname rather than just portname, for example
portmaster www/seamonkey

On my other computer, with MSI Z77 MPOWER motherboard, synth just fumbles and crashes.

Will both the old and revamped portmaster be maintained, and what will be the port names, since there can't be two ports both named portmaster?

I used portupgrade before switching to portmaster.

Tom