Date:      Tue, 26 May 1998 06:20:58 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        Simon Lindgren <lindgren@istudio.no>
Cc:        isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "dynamic router" woes

Simon Lindgren writes:
>Using latest isdn4bsd on FreeBSD 2.2.6, almost got it working
>(reading the docs actually produces results sometimes :) - but
>one last thing stands in the way: there's no way I can tell what
>gateway-ip my ISP will have ay any call... putting a wrong one
>and observing the results (syslogd) gives me:
>
>still need hisaddress
>
>a lot of times - and other parts of the log tells me his address
>is different every time. What do I have to do to make isdn4bsd
>use this new address, which I can see so clearly?
>very frustrating :) - is there a workaround for now?
>
>Thank you very much for any help!

you should not care what his address is. Here's an extract from sppp(4):

     It is possible to leave the local interface IP address open for negotia-
     tion by setting it to 0.0.0.0.  This requires that the remote peer can
     correctly supply a value for it based on the identity of the caller, or
     on the remote address supplied by this side.  Due to the way the IPCP op-
     tion negotiation works, this address is being supplied late during the
     negotiation, which might cause the remote peer to make wrong assumptions.

     In a similar spirit the remote address can be set to the magical value
     0.0.0.1 which means that we don't care what address the remote side will
     use, as long as it is not 0.0.0.0.  This is useful if your ISP has sever-
     al dial-in servers.  You can of course route add something or other
     0.0.0.1 and it will do exactly what you would want it to.

Just ifconfig the interface correctly with "ifconfig ispppX 0 1 netmask
0xffffff00" and do "route add default -interface ispppX". Then it won't
matter what IP-address you have or he has. It will always be used as the
default route.

Need to update the FAQ for this.

---
Gary Jennejohn