Date:      Fri, 2 Mar 2001 02:51:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Coleman <chrisc@vmunix.com>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: spam from BSDSearch.com (was Re: Daemon News Ezine, March 2001 (not spam!))

> > > Ugh.  No, they're not.  Why would DN sponsor something to compete with
> > > search.daemonnews.org?

For the same reason we sponsor FreeBSDZine and FreeBSDDiary, although they
directly compete with us.  We also have had ads on O'Reillynet.com/bsd and
bsdfreak.org  All of these are ad or link exchanges, a show of support
and community building.  We try to support other BSD activities, even
commercial ones like Wasabi and such.  Occasionally, DN supporters will
pull cash out of their own pockets and promote DN on different sites if it
isn't too much.  At DN, its the community that powers us.

I won't speak for DN officially in this matter, but I think they would all
agree that we seek to promote anyone adding value to the BSD community.

For BSD to succeed we all need to pull together.  We don't condone SPAM,
but we realize everyone makes mistakes.  I have personally made too many
to count, and been flamed viciously for it, but I am committed to the BSD
community and really want to see it grow.

Garry has promised that this won't happen again and I am willing to give
him the benefit of the doubt this time.  I don't think we should let this
destroy part of our community.  This is what almost drove TuCows down.

It would appear that to be proactive in the BSD community, the lower
regions of your anatomy need to be partially composed of asbestos.

I have been at this a long time, and all of my projects have been
criticized as being too ambitious.  I met with a lot of failure in the
beginning, but perseverence led to Daemon News and is currently showing
progress on Open Packages.

If the SPAM were to continue, our attitude would change.  Lets be
forgiving at this juncture.

-Chris Coleman
(Expressing his own opinions)