Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:25:46 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Brad Karp <bkarp@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux-gtk2 port too old for Linux Firefox 3 binary

Quoting Brad Karp <bkarp@cs.ucl.ac.uk> (from Tue, 24 Jun 2008 17:45:18 +0100=
):

> Greetings.
>
> The version of GTK in FreeBSD's linux-gtk2 port is 2.6.10.
>
> I (and others, I expect) tend to run the Linux build of Firefox, so
> that I can use Linux releases of the Flash player.
>
> The new Firefox 3 release fails when run against linux-gtk2 from the
> GTK port, though; it complains that Firefox 3 requires at least GTK
> 2.10.
>
> The port's maintainer is listed as freebsd-emulation. Might someone
> who tends this port be up for updating the port to bring GTK 2.10 or
> newer into linux-gtk2?

The problem is, that our default linux-base (fc4) does not come with =20
gtk 2.10. To switch to a more recent linux-base, we need linux 2.6 =20
emulation. In 7.0 is already a part of this, but it's not enable per =20
default. In 8-current we have a more complete linux 2.6 emulation =20
(it's in the testing phase).

For the ports we (bsam@) is working at infrastructure to be able to =20
install fc4 or a more recent fedore version as linux-base (we have to =20
be able to support 2.4 and 2.6 emulation). The more recent version =20
would come with a more recent GTK version. Patches are available in =20
the archive of emulation@ in case you want to have a look at it. The =20
infrastructure looks promising, but is not yet committed.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
Ad astra per aspera.  (To the stars by aspiration.)

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137